Sunday, August 5, 2007

German Astroworld!

Yesterday, we went to Holiday Park. We really had a great time, and made constant comparisons to our beloved Astroworld of days gone by. We rode rides, ate food, watched shows, etc for about 8 hours. Europa Park is next!
A couple of things of note: (1) I almost had a full on nervous breakdown waiting for the Thunder River ride. The line winds through a wooded area, and there is of course the water element. This is apparently conducive to mice. Well, one that was about a thumb and a half long and a little wider went scurrying across the path. I turned and looked at Stephen and I know my eyes were giant. The girl in front of us PICKED IT UP!!! I was literally face-in-Stephen's-chest, gripping-his-shirt-for-dear-life, starting-to-tear-up FREAKED OUT. He just kept saying, "don't look at it, look at me, it's okay," etc I knew I didn't like the rodents, but I really didn't know I was THAT freaked by them.
(2) We did a lot of people watching, and knowing there would be some Americans there (the USO sells tickets) we were on the lookout for them. Several things will always help identify someone as NOT in the American military. 1. ManPris. These are capri pants on men. They are HUGELY popular here, and I think universally frowned upon my American men. 2. Facial hair. You can't have it in the military. 3. Long hair 4. Piercings. There are also times you can tell for sure they ARE. The two that stand out in my mind are 1. the man who said, "AH, Texas!" to Stephen because he was wearing his UT hat and his Texas Embassy London shirt. 2. a man we saw in line at the Ge Force with a tattoo in honor of a fallen soldier that read the soldier's name, OEF 06 and their unit name.
OH, and (3) parking was only 2.50 Euro, and food/snacks were I think much cheaper than I remember at Astroworld. PLUS, you could bring in your own coolers, backpacks, blankets, etc. I guess for large families that might make sense, but it made better sense to us to not have to haul around a bunch of crap all day. Money, the camera and sunglasses. We were good to go.




"Thunder River" with GeForce Expedition roller coaster in background






I love this picture of us. Its the "spinning teacups" ride, but we are in mermaids!



















This is Gunslinger, German style!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you had such a traumatic experience waiting in line. I could almost feel your anxiety. eww(shivers)
I was talking to a friend who grew up in the Houston area, she is our age. She said, "can you believe our parents used to drop us off there!" Not now, buddy!

Kris said...

Days gone by for sure! We were just talking about astroworld yesterday! We all had season passes and the parents always dropped off early and picked up late (what were they thinking)?? Looks like a blast!

Anonymous said...

Looks like yall had a blast! Heather you got the fretting about mice honestly from your Coon. I saw her climb upon a table and start screaming one time when she saw one. Yep!...........

CG said...

That way up high gunslinger is way cool looking. I was never one of those "lucky" season passers, but I still made my fair share of trips- and yes, dropping your children off to hang out there all day was a really, really BAD idea. I'm glad I didn't get to do that but a couple of times. I got into enough trouble without the extra opportunities.