Sunday, January 13, 2008

Take 3 giggles and call me in the morning.

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think humor is in the funnybone of the listener/watcher. Here's the sitch...S and I are watching tv last night. First, the Family Guy. We regularly watch the Family Guy, but last night's was not an episode of the Family Guy I enjoyed. There were many references to things I feel are too serious to joke about. Also, they have a recurring bit with the dad fighting a giant chicken. I completely don't get this. (note: A tagline for this episode describes it as having "The longest chicken fight in TV history.") S thought this was hysterical.

An hour later I am BUSTING OUT laughing because this happens on New Adventures of Old Christine:

Christine: (singing along with radio) That's the night that the lights went out in Georgia. That's the night that they hung an immigrant ham.
Richard: (turns off radio) You pretty sure you got the words right to that song?
Christine: Yeah.
And then
Christine: (singing "The Night the Lights Went out in Georgia") The Georgia patrol was making their rounds so he fired a shot just to flag em down and a big bellied sheriff grabbed his gum and said, "Why'd you chew it?"
Richard: Sing it.
This was the funniest thing I'd seen on tv in a looooong time. S didn't see the humor there. I remember so many times that my mom and my Kabbage would just SIIIIIIING like they had good sense. I know you are both probably reading this, but you KNOW it's true! Making up words, getting all into the song, humming if they didn't know the words, etc. Kabbage "harmonizing", mom doing that snap/clap dance move.

At any rate…laughter is definitely an individual response to what one considers "funny". Whatever it is you are laughing at, make sure you get your daily dose. Laughter is the best medicine (says Reader's Digest!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

men don't get it because they are the worst offenders.
chicken fighting, huh?

mrskipj said...

Laughter is absolutely important. Thank you for the reminder. Sometimes I forget, with all the serious Mom stuff I have to do.

CG said...

And a merry heart doeth good like medicine. I need to make a point to laugh more, but then I'd have to pick on Greg constantly...

CG said...

I don't remember the comedian in the early 90's who said it, but he was talking about drunk dudes singing songs and not really knowing the words...

Then he proceeded to sing "Bingo jet had a light on." I thought that was hilarious.

Daddy and Kabbage said...

Hey Giggle Kids,
Kabbage here !! Love you're still giggling, laughing, loving life with your LOVER. We all did our best to make sure that was a big part of your growing up(right parental units three?! And er...by the way Trace and Me were a pretty "coool team...(huh, Trace?) We bad, we bad...harmony & boogey...mumble,mumble L-O-V-E !!
{most songs end with that so what the hell!!!) We ALL LOVE YOU ALL< AND BRAVO - NOT FALLING ONCE skiing!! Steven must be a great teacher!! What fun, fun, fun!!Wish we were there, almost feels like it! LOVE, and Hugs and Kisses,
Kabbage (& Da Dad he's just getting home from work almost 9pm 12 hrs work !) whoa, bless his heart, gotta go- love the man while I got the chance I know he's pooped! ALL my love- My heart misses you....

PS. OH, for the old ees does anyone remember (cause I found different people remember this song two different ways.....) It's suppose to be sung I found out when I was 40something that it had REAL WORDS: "Mares eats oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy , a kid'll eat ivy too would'nt you? ??? MY WHOLE LIFE (Seriously!!) I was taught...Meers-zee doots, and dooz eee doots, and littl'e am 'ze diz ze, a diddly di dee do , wouldn't you? " SERIOUSLY!! I asked my Psy class once and half knew it as a little dipsy doodle song (like me!) Others (ONE PERSON - ahem!!) actuallly knew there were real words!! When I came home, Daddy thought I was kidding!! WE LAUGHED and one of my dearest friends (Melony) didn't know there were real words either !!!! Ain't life a hoot? !! Trace! Did you know "actual words?"Carol you? just curious. Heck I don't care, it was fun to skip and "sing". LOVE, Kabbage