Thursday, November 6, 2008

Almost 15 months later...

Last October, we said Tearful Goodbyes to a battalion in our community. These are Soldiers we know, many of whom I welcomed to our community shortly after we arrived here. Single Soldiers like Lori, married Soldiers like Jay's wife, husbands of Marisa, Crystal, Deanna, Christy, Jessica, Nancy, and more.

Today, I helped to put up yellow ribbons and get barracks rooms ready for the single Soldiers of the advance party to come home. The unit will come home in 3 movements. Advance, main and trail. The excitement, anxiety, nervousness and anticipation is evident in those who have held down the homefront for all these many months.

The time seems to have flown by. But I haven't been raising kids by myself. I haven't been glued to my phone waiting for a call from downrange. I haven't counted the days until his/her R&R leave or devoured monthly newsletters hoping for a photo or mention of his/her name. My time wasn't spent sending care packages, comforting kids who miss their mom/dad, or dealing with behavioral issues brought on by a missing parent. I haven't reached over in the night and found the other side of the bed empty. (or occupied by a child who has wandered in)

What have I been doing with my time? Watching the spouses (and friends/collegues) of deployed Soldiers be strong, and brave, and courageous. I've seen how they get to their breaking point and find a way to go one more day. I've seen them reach out to others, use resources available, and find ways to cope when they have hit the wall. And I have watched many of them grow and mature and thrive and go on with their lives because that's what they do.

It's an incredible thing to be a part of, and I am truly blessed to know both the Soldier and the Family members of the 44th, and the US Army. :)

3 comments:

JBBGirl said...

That was sweet. There are so many emotions involved with being a part of something so tight knit. It is all so bittersweet!
I changed my address to: http://jessicaslemons.blogspot.com/
If you have me on your link list you will have to update it to the new one. So sorry for any trouble this may be. Thanks so much for your understanding!
Hugs,
Jessica

Facebook Freak said...

What a lovely sentiment. You should be a writer!

XOXO,
Mary

CG said...

That was really sweet, Heather. I am so glad you have your friends and that they have you. I love how God puts people in places where they'll be supported through the toughest of times. Even here in FL without a friend in site and Greg gone most of the time I always know I can count on other adoptive parents and friends who are just a few mouse clicks away. What a blessing!