Friday, May 1, 2009

I managed to avoid the ugly cry!

This morning (left the house at THREE TWENTY A.M.!) we sent 21 Soldiers to Afghanistan with love and hugs; prayers and sack lunches; our hearts and goody bags complete with antibacterial soap and handi wipes!

Some of these Soldiers I don't know very well. Some of them I've known a year. A couple even longer than that. Many of them had families there hugging and waving. Some are single and did not, but they had buddies and peers and mentors and us (the FRG) to love them.

Just a few that I am already missing: SPC N is a top notch Soldier. He has some funny little quirks. He's awesome. SGT G is a man who can get things and get things done. Kind of in the Morgan Freeman Shawshank Redemption way, but more just plain ol willing to help someone else whether he has nothing at all to do, or a list down his arm. And actually, I've never ever seen him with nothing at all to do! SGT Y is my down-the-hall-weather guy. He sends out the weather report each week and I usually give him a hard time if I either don't like the forecast or it turns out to be incorrect. He's from NY or NJ or CT or something. He likes the cold and snow. We don't see eye to eye on the weather. LT H is the only female on the bus. We got to know each other a little better during the planning of the ball a couple months ago. COL B, the commander. He's a wonderful, friendly, caring and sweet man. He looked me in my eyes, holding both my shoulders firmly and thanked me for the things I do for his Soldiers and their families. I was just-a boo-hooin. (but not ugly!) He smiled and hugged me and kissed my cheek and said, "don't cry. Keep doing what you do."

I would not have missed this day for anything. These are my Soldiers. But I don't know how I'm going to manage it when/if it is MY Soldier. I watched the families today, and will watch again when we send the others. Some prefer to say goodbye at home. There were a few to make that choice. Everyone just has to do it the best way they know how for their families. Some parents go all the way to the bus but not kids, some whole families go, some say private goodbyes at home, or go for a while, but leave before the vision of the waving from the window is the last one they have for a year. However they decide to handle it, they handle it. With exhaustion and sadness; excitement and a little bit of fear; with pride and love.

I'm beginning to lose my focus. I need to call it a day. I don't think I've ever left at noon having worked a full day! But today I did, and the Rear Detachment Soldiers, Main Body and Trail Party Soldiers, and FRG volunteers did, too. We wouldn't have had it any other way.

The next group will go soon. And that will also suck.
-photos later-

1 comments:

JBBGirl said...

Good byes are so hard. We are going to be going on our 3rd deployment (here soon) within the past 3 years! With lots of "work up/training"(gone 5-6 weeks here and there) good byes intermittently while they get all of their quals for sea duty! It never gets easier especially for the kids! It is hard because I can see this time around it is really taking a big toll on our 6 year old! I feel so helpless but God will get us though! Sorry for the "emotional unload" some people just don't understand. I know you do...it's a Mil Spouse thing! (Wink!) Keep bloggin' I love to follow your blog! Big HUGS!