Tuesday, November 9, 2010

This Week

I've been in the valley for almost a week visiting with family and helping my aunt take care of some business following the death of my uncle Dale. It's been a wonderful and sad time. It's hard for me to write about. It's kind of hard (but warms my heart) to think about. I just keep thinking about all those summers spent in this house. With the gold 70s carpet, and gold curtains that provided the backdrop for all my cousins event photos. It has changed, been renovated and updated, but it's still that house he came home to every day from work saying, "did we get any mail?"

Hard as it is to form the thoughts into sentences, here are some things that have touched my heart this week:
--Checking off things on the list that we made to get things going with those paperwork chores that must be done with someone passes away. I love feeling like I'm helping.
--Coke floats, a favorite in our family.
--All the kids, my cousins kids filling the house with laughter and youth and innocence.
One of them asking as they were preparing to leave for his Papa Wood. He's only two and knew that this is where he sees Papa Wood, and he didn't want to go without seeing him. One was glued to my side, reminding me of her mama when we were both much younger versions of ourselves. Another reminding me of her mama when she was young and ornery and loving and bold. And the oldest and youngest, just 3 weeks old soft, sweet and cuddly; and 8 yrs old getting wise to the world, saying the Lord's Prayer and blessing his family beyond his years.
--Tears. Some have fallen every day at some point from each of us. Obviously at the memorial. And on the day of arrival. Each time a person came to the house for the first time, they came in tidal waves. Then when each person left for their trip back to their town. Throughout the week comments and gestures and just the little things have brought them on.
--Reminiscing. SO many stories and memories and both good and bad times brought up. So much history.
--Siblings. My dad and his sister. My brother and me. My cousins. My Uncle Dale and his sister Frances. My cousins' other cousins.
--Good friends. My aunt's good friends looking after her. My cousins' friends flying and driving down and loving on them.


2 comments:

Mabel said...

Heather,
I'm so sorry for your loss but am happy that you were able to spend so much time being with and taking care of your family.

And I'm happy you have this place to document it all. You have a wonderful way with words; thanks for sharing.

XOXO

Heather and Stephen said...

thanks, Mary! Love you. :)