Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Loftier Goals

oh.my.gosh. We're almost there. In just a few days we will be 1/2 way through this deployment. "Can you believe it's going by so fast?" --I'm not singling anyone out. I get this several times a day. "Going by so fast for WHO?" I want to say. But I don't. I know what it is like. I work for a unit that just came home. I was there when they left and there when they came home and it sure seemed like that year went by quickly. But my husband wasn't one of the almost 3,000 Soldiers who was away. So I understand that it seems to be flying for some.


Anyway, I got a little sidetracked. That's not the point I'm about to make. The point is this:
When this began 6 months ago I thought I had some goals. Looking back I didn't exactly list goals, it was more a list of coping skills. I mean, I don't think "wine" qualifies as a goal. (although some would argue!) I said yesterday that my goal for the second half of this deployment would be to learn to grill. I'd like to get this book that a friend of mine has with grill recipes for everything. It's by Weber, so you know it's good. First, though...I have to master hooking up the propane tank to the grill without having it explode and disfigure me for life (a very real fear I have). Then I have to light it, also without the disfigurement. Only after those two steps can I master the art of grilling. I'm thinking this is a really good goal.

But tonight my bff told me to write a book. Oh, she's been telling me that since I married Stephen and started "speaking some foreign language!" With all the acronyms, ranks, slang terms and idiosyncrasies of the military, she said from the beginning I should be writing a book. But tonight she pulled out the big guns. She told me about a friend of hers who has been reading my blog and thinks I really should write a book. It's not as though I thought bff was just saying that to make me feel good, but maybe she was just saying that. You know, to make me feel good. Or maybe I just didn't listen because I felt like only other people do stuff like write books. This friend of hers is a journalist. She does this for a living, so she knows what she's talking about. I've met her on several occasions and really like her a lot.* But me? Write a book?

I never really thought about a whole book, but if anyone asked me at any point in my life what I thought I was good at, the answer would be writing. Oh, sure, I totally wanted to be Olivia Newton John when I was growing up. Secretly I kind of still do. But a singer I NEVER was. I've always loved the words. I love the power they can hold if they are strung together just right. I love that they can bring up so many emotions. Sadness, admiration, love, boredom, anger, pride. And I really love that as much as I detest misuse of words and misspellings/poor grammar, if you are doing it purposefully, it's called artistic or literary license and it's not only allowed, but it's cool. I love that if you don't know how to spell a word, you can just find another one and make it work. :)

So maybe I'm going to give it a little thought. Maybe I'm going to think about a little loftier goal. No promises, but maybe. And maybe I'll take a couple weeks off to hang out with my husband in Hawaii and think about it! Three cheers for R&R!
hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray!



*I know you read that D, and I didn't just put it in there for you to read! :)

0 comments: