Monday, May 2, 2011

The Real Rest of the Story

Okay, sorry I ended that last one kind of abruptly, but it was dragging on too long and I was getting frustrated. So...where was I? Oh yeah, April 27, having a lung collapse from hiking up Diamond Head.

So, here's what you should know about it:
Had a cup of coffee instead of water before starting out. Bad idea. (as if some water might have suddenly made me a world class hiker)
I'm not going to cut and past a bunch of stuff from the internet. But I am going to say that it's .8 mile uphill the whole way, mostly on rocky trail and then 4 sets of stairs and two tunnels mixed in for good measure (stairs are 74, 99, 3 story spiral and 54 steps!) Go ahead, read all about it.
If you don't want to read all about it, at least go look at the photos. No. I walked up the damn thing, I'm not pasting the pictures here for you.
SO, it really was cool. Once I recovered from the shaky leg and lack of breath (and embarrassment because grandmas were doing it and one guy did it twice--RUNNING while we were there) it was beautiful. And windy and cool. We took some pictures and enjoyed the view all the way around and then headed back down. I wondered if anyone ever fell down the 99 steps.
What did we do after that? Well the breakfast buffet at the hotel, of course! :) and then a little later we strolled through the Army museum that is right next to the hotel and is just small enough to be interesting without getting boring to me. The helicopter exhibit was closed, but the rest was cool. Dinner at the Yard House for a second time. Very good.

April 28 - Last full day. We slept in, but not too late. Had breakfast at the famous Eggs N Things. Where I had pancakes but Stephen had eggs and things (potatoes and Portuguese sausage). After breakfast we strolled through the mall (the one with Maui Tacos, but we didn't eat there since we had just eaten!) and through town back to the hotel. We went down to the pool for a while and had a snack from Happy's Snack Bar at the hotel on the way back to the room. Nachos and a hot dog. We're on vacation! Then we decided we hadn't had quite enough mexican food, so we hit Cha Cha Cha's again! We walked back to the hotel, caught the last sunset of our trip and headed for the room to watch Michael Scott's last episode of The Office, our show. Friday we got up late, went to breakfast at the Wailana coffee house/cocktail bar (second visit), finished packing and checked out of the hotel.

I won't bore you with the details of the goodbyeing at the Dallas airport. It suffices to say it was tearful and on the skylink tram between my gate and his. We were so so happy to be able to be on the same flight on the way there AND back. It wasn't as bad as I had feared, I think because Stephen was very upbeat and positive and reminded me that we only have about 20 weeks left.

I guess I better get scrappin those 958 photos! That's an estimate, but not necessarily an exaggeration!

0 comments: