Thursday, May 5, 2011

Therapy?

Well, I am back to work, vacation's over. No more paradise. And there was a bit of a scene at the office today. What kind of a scene, you ask? There was a F**KING MOUSE in my office!!! (edited in an effort to not seem like a potty mouth)
I went in, set my stuff down, moved something from my back credenza, and SAW him scurry out. It seemed like it was almost in slow motion. You know, like when something supertramatic happens to a person and their brain slows it down for them so that they can process it without going into shock?
Yes, that's a real thing! I read about it on the internet:
Put simply, danger signals put the body on alert; there are many biochemical changes happening very rapidly, many brought about by the hormone Adrenaline – there is a simple, immediate assessment of the level of danger – should we run away (flight) or face up to it (fight)? In these situations there is often an altered sense of time – it seems to slow down, probably because the responses of the reptilian brain are much quicker that our normal state of consciousness, and our metabolism is speeded up.
Of course I freaked.
I ran down to the staff duty office, and when I could find my voice again I told them about it. They hemmed and hawed one telling the other to go out and look for it. Finally one of them went down the hall with a broom. Planning to sweep him to death, I guess.
He couldn't find it. I went down the hall to get some coffee, you know, because I'm not already all spun up and need some caffeine. Actually I just thought if I did something, like make a pot of coffee, for instance, I could calm down a bit.
On the way back I saw the SOB running back in there! That's when things got ugly. I had the biggest freakout I've ever had. I shrieked there it is! And commenced hyperventilating, sweating and crying. I had to go outside and get some air. I almost threw up. Some of my friends, co-workers, and supervisors saw me in this state and were very concerned that "something bad happened." Uh, I'd say this qualifies as something pretty darn bad! One person (hi MG!) thought someone had died! Yes, I was really that upset.
The Soldiers chased it out of my office and into the break room RIGHT ACROSS THE HALL, and it has not been seen since. So I spent the rest of the day staring at the hallway while typing, answering the phone, etc to be sure it wasn't trying to come back in. Of course I'm one step ahead. I put a rolled up banner in front of the doorway.
Yes, as I explained to everyone who passed the office, I am aware that it could scurry over the barrier, but I would have extra time to throw things and scream. Each time I had to leave to go to a meeting or the bathroom or anything, I had to have someone go in and cause a ruckus in my office to be sure it wasn't in there.
Some people kind of laughed and poked fun throughout the day. It didn't hurt my feelings or upset me at all. I realize that this is an irrational fear. I realize that my behavior is irrational. I just can't get past it and it keeps getting worse.
Do you think I need some kind of therapy?

0 comments: