Friday, July 29, 2011

Blog Challenge! - Day One

I found this answer to my blogging stall on my cousin Kristy's Blog! It's a challenge of 30 days of blogging topics. If you've known me for more than a minute, you know that it just might kill me not to do all 30 days at once, but I won't! Here is day one:


Your Favorite Song - Drift Away by Dobie Gray

This is probably the very first song I remember. A quick google/wikipedia search told me that he recorded it in 1973, so I was just a toddler when my parents were listening to it. I've always loved it. The words, the tune, the beat. Gimme the beat boys, and free my soul. I want to get lost in your rock and roll and drift away...

From the very first note I know. That's my song!! Uncle Kracker recorded it in 2003 and I actually love that version, too. And it made me so happy that it got a lot of radio time when it came out again!

When I was just out of high school, I would hear this song and for whatever reason, I could NEVER remember who sang it. In my sometimes tipsy state of mind I would find it completely appropriate to call my dad and ask. This probably only happened once, but it seems like several times because it is so ridiculous.
"Dad, you know that song about floating down the river?"
"uh...what?"
"you know, that we always use to listen to when we were little?"
"River? You mean drift away?"
"Yeah, that's it!!"

The conversation ended with dad making sure I was safe. "you are home, then? in for the night?" :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never knew who sang this, and for some reason I am surprised he is black?