Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Meetings, meetings, meetings!

Funny things about meetings! People at work are ALWAYS scheduled for a meeting. Here are a few things I have noticed: 1. If it is with anyone important, it always trumps any other meeting that may already be scheduled. 2. Most meetings are scheduled and rescheduled several times. I think this is because if there is an important attendee, they may have something more pressing.
3. Several times I have seen what I call "the meeting pawn off". I get an email appointment notice, and then I get a CC on an email to someone saying "hey Ms. Suchandsuch, I need you to take my 2pm meeting with Ms. B regarding this. Please cover the following issues…" It takes longer to do this than to just have the friggin meeting!
4. Many meetings are scheduled for WAY over the necessary time. So when someone is "in meetings all day, some of them overlapping" They are not. They got out of the first one 30 minutes early, so they hem hawed around a while and then went to the second one, which they found out was canceled. The third one, a lunch meeting, goes over because of someone getting there late, but it's ok. The meeting was pushed back 30 minutes to accommodate the VIP that was coming!
What a meeting mess!!! I think some of them do it just so that their Outlook Calendar will look like they are super busy!

4 comments:

CG said...

This is one thing I definitely will never, ever miss about the working world.

Facebook Freak said...

Yes, meetings are a major part of my life...truly, I have been in many meetings where the sole purpose was to schedule more meetings. Office life is so much fun!

Facebook Freak said...

Yes, meetings are a major part of my life...truly, I have been in many meetings where the sole purpose was to schedule more meetings. Office life is so much fun!

Ben said...

The meetings will continue until we figure out why no work is being done...