Monday, October 22, 2007

What a Rush!

25 yrs. I would guess that is about how long my brother has been Rush's #1 fan. One of the things I remember so clearly growing up is hearing those albums blaring through his door, watching him play drums, bass and air guitar to Free Will, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, etc. Last night, I had the pleasure of seeing this incredible band real live in person at the SAP Arena here in Mannheim. I sat next to my brother (and my husband) at my first and his about 50th Rush concert. Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart are not spring chickens. I don't know how old they are, but they had their 30th anniversary tour a few years ago. Neat story, my brother and his best friend from childhood went to their first concert in 1982 or 1983, something like that. And then they went together to see Rush on their 30th anniversary tour in 2005 or 2006. How cool is that? Anyway, I expected to go and have a good time, but I was really amazed at how talented these musicians are. Both Stephen and I commented separately how they sound JUST like their albums! Not like so many who manipulate their voices to sound good for recording and then are a disappointment on stage. There was no opening act. They played for almost 3 hours, with a 25 minute intermission mid-way. There were, of course, some songs I hadn't heard. I haven't heard much since those early days through the bedroom door, but those I knew the chorus, or bits and pieces here and there took me back and then the new ones that I really liked as well. I couldn't always understand the words, you know, the rock and roll!! But I had a great time and was so happy to get to share in something my brother loves so much. Because I love him so much. Now…I have to check on Olivia's tour schedule. Because he promised to go with me! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That really is cool. I cannot hear Rush and not think of your brother.

Medium Rare Please: said...

I wish I could've been there. Wouldn't be the first Rush concert I've attended with your bro!

Anonymous said...

So wonderful that you and Wade got to experience his great love together. Yep, I too remember his fettish with Rush throughout his teen years.............and it hasn't stopped yet, he stills thinks their No. 1.

Anonymous said...

Don't you think it is about time to update your blog!!!!!!!!!