Thursday, February 28, 2008

Freeganism




Where have I been? Have you ever heard of Freeganism? A freegan is a social activist who, repulsed by the waste produced by modern society, has taken to eating food and collecting goods that have been thrown away. Freegans are driven by an anti-capitalist dogma, mixed with environmental, anti-globalization and some vegan ideals. <--taken from the CNN.com article that the photo links to.

This was the topic on Oprah today (yesterday in the US) and since I am home "sick" I caught part of the show. It is really fascinating! I realize my last two posts have been quite environmentally concious. No. This doesn't mean anything.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's gross.
Yes, I was getting worried about you ;)

Kim said...

I saw this on Oprah, also. I like saving money and getting good deals, but this was a bit much for me.

Facebook Freak said...

I think the point of the Oprah show was to raise a little awareness about the amount of waste that goes on to this country.

What's really gross is that more than 10 million children in the US go to bed hungry every night while corporate grocery stores dump millions of tons of edible food into landfills.

And, I don't think we should worry about Heather mentioning an environmental issue. It's OK to be environmentally aware!

JBBGirl said...

I like eating at Panera Bread. One of the reasons I really like them is because whatever bread is leftover for the day they take and donate to a local charity! I think that is wonderful! They have been doing this for years now! I always liked that idea!. I have not seen the show though! I will have to try to watch it! Thanks for sharing Heather!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kim said...

I had not heard of that. That is pretty interesting. I like the bee theme.

CG said...

Having stupidly done the vegan thing for several years (which ruined my thyroid, btw) I will definitely not become a freegan (until our economy collapses and I am forced to.)