Thursday, August 28, 2008

THE BIG NEWS

We (Stephen and I) attended briefings with our units yesterday to hear THE BIG NEWS. It really isn't news as much as it is specifics and confirmation of what we already knew.

Mannheim is closing and it is going to start next summer.

Here is the article http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=57046

KEY PART: Mannheim: Decrease of 1,131 Soldiers, 265 Government Service Civilian employees and approximately 2,094 Family members for an approximate total decrease of 3,490 U.S. personnel. There will be an approximate decrease of 73 Local National employee positions.

We will be of the lucky ones. Our date to move will coincide with the movement of my unit, and the downsizing of his. The one thing that impacts us directly will probably be access to PCS services like transportation (packing out and shipping our stuff) and possibly guest house availability. I almost HAVE to spend at least one night in the guest house since I have been singing this hip hop song that I made up, "livin the the guest house (I said) we're livin in the guest house (uh huh)..."you get the idea.

At any rate...in the coming months (probably starting the beginning of 2009), I will see a slow down in the family members I inprocess as they begin to be rerouted to Schweinfurt. I expect my job to change with the needs of the unit and it's families. That's always a good thing. Different things going on keeps a girl on her toes! :)

0 comments: