Monday, August 18, 2008

Your Gonna Miss This...

That’s what they say.
When I mention that we have only one year left of our tour in Germany, everyone is certain that I am going to return home and pine for all things German. There may be a little truth to this, but right now, I’d commit a slew of crimes to secure some REAL Mexican food. The closest my husband and I have come in our search is a little Mexikanisches Restaurant in Frankfurt called Rodeo. Google it, it’s pretty easy to find. Another thing that would drive me to the dark side is the prospect of real live gut fillin’, finger lickin’ Texas barbeque! If you have any information that may lead to the location and capture of said delicacy, I am posting a reward of one brisket sandwich!
Lest you believe I wrote this when I was hungry (that is beside the point!), I would also give a healthy sum to someone who could locate a Kohl’s, Target, or Hobby Lobby that accepts the lowly dollar and will let me take home my merchandise TODAY! Oh America. I miss you! And don’t get me started about friends and family or there will be tears. I’m not going to even look back!


And they just might be right.
Schnitzel and beer. Traveling with ease in and around many countries on short time and a realistic budget. Oooh, and Italian eis cream. There are things I have decided I will miss once we return to our homeland. I’ve never known anyone to make a beer/lemonade drink called a Radler in the states. It goes without saying, but I think I will go ahead and say it...I have made friends here that I will miss terribly. I will stay in touch via email and phone. I do it now with my stateside friends, so I know it can be done! I have loved meeting Soldiers and Families, learning from them and passing knowledge to the next. My husband and I have also made local national and German friends that will be missed. Every Halloween we will fondly remember German kids practicing their newly adopted tradition of trick-or-treating. Every New Year we will reminisce of the three spent at our Bürstadt bar with the local people and their never-ending non-regulated fireworks.
I will cry when we leave. I cry during sad radio songs. But I might just have to admit that this place, these people, this three year tour and everything that goes along with it has become a part of me. I’m going to spend the next year soaking it all in, and then I’m gonna miss this.


I wrote this for our newsletter. Thought I'd share it here, too.

6 comments:

Amy J. said...

I've got a Chuychanga with your name on it! ;-)

And if by newsletter you mean your Christmas newsletter, I gotta say - you are truly on the ball!

Heather and Stephen said...

no, no. the newsletter for work! Although I might have been working on this year's newsletter a little bit...

Heather and Stephen said...

no, no. the newsletter for work! Although I might have been working on this year's newsletter a little bit...

Anonymous said...

And how about a El Pato??????

Heather and Stephen said...

oh YEAH!!!

Kristy said...

We can't wait to have you back!!!!