Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Smile Through the Telephone Line

One of our battalions has about 8 Soldiers deployed as individuals, attached to another unit in a country other than this one. That's all I can say.



Well, it's always easier to get care pkgs when you are with a large unit on a long deployment. This one is not so many people and they'll only be gone 5-6 months. That's all, just 5-6 months. Seems not so long compared to the 15 months some have recently done. But it's plenty long enough. They left before Christmas, too, so that kind of sucks. Anyway, so I sent them a little package not long ago with some slim jims, hard candy, magazines, etc.


Tomorrow I get to send a BIG box of stuff that was sent for Soldiers who have returned and they all got some goodies and there was a lot left over. So I'm forwarding the blessings on!


Here's where the smile comes in. I emailed my friend, Karl. He is one of the 8. He's kind of my point guy because I don't know the others and I know him pretty well, having worked along side him when I was at 72d, and he has been in BOSS (Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers) for some time and is at community events I attend as well.


I emailed him 3 times because I kept thinking of things I wanted to ask about what they wanted/needed, etc. Well, he called so he could just answer and not have to compose a bunch of emails. It was SO good to hear his voice! We both hung up the phone so excited. I'm excited I'm sending a box, he's excited to be receiving it and to tell the others about it.

:) It was a smile that stayed on my face for quite some time, and will stay in my heart for much longer. THIS (and things like this) is why I do this job.

0 comments: