Friday, October 22, 2010

English/Grammar/Pronunciation/Vocabulary Irritation

I know this is crazy. I know I'm being rude and a little bit ridiculous. But I am not being an elitist.

e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism (-ltzm, -l-)
n.
1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
2.
a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

Yes, I looked it up. I don't think I am better than these people. I'm sure they have math abilities or cooking talents I can't touch. I'm just saying that it grates on my last nerve to be in a class and have the following violations committed:

Pacific. Not as opposed to Atlantic, but as in "a pacific plan." You mean SPECIFIC.

Inter Regration. That is how it was pronounced. The word was integration.

Because, why? I don't know if this is really incorrect, but I do know it's annoying. "The chicken crossed the road. Because, why?" Pause for class to answer the question. "to get to the other side."

Electronical. Not a word.

Pedofilers. Also not a word.

Supposebly. UGH.

Cognant. Again, not a word. It is cognizant. To be aware of or have knowledge of.

and yes, this is how I spent my time in training this week. Making notes of these gaffes.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know I am one hundred percent with you on this. and i don't even care if it is elitist.