Sunday, September 13, 2009

About the Kitchen...

There are a few things I have noticed about the kitchen lately.
1. It's really nice to have a dishwasher. And yet, it kind of sucks to get up in the morning and still have yesterday's dishes to put away. Also, because we are a family of 2, it often happens that there is only one of something we need (like the big knife) and it is in the dishwasher. Dirty.

2. You fill up whatever counter space you have. We have extended our counterspace in this house over our last one by about 3 ft, and have a double sink where the Burstadt house had a single. It was full in that house and it is full in this one. What's that about? We have added an appliance we didn't have there (mixer that was in storage), but the microwave is built in here and sat countertop there. The rest of the house is the same way, though. When it is empty it seems huge, but as soon as you get your junk in there, it gets a lot smaller!

3. Pans. I've discovered or decided (not sure which) that I would rather wash a pan full of grease, butter, or burned casserole than to have to wash the scrambled egg pan. It's just all gross! That egg residue? ICK! And it gets all stuck around the handle bolts, and when you scrub it, it then gets all over the sponge. Gross.

4. Food Planning. This must be a well-choreographed dance if there is any hope to avoid spoilage. I get so excited by the Farmer's Market offerings, and overwhelmed by the choices at the commissary and (however reluctantly, the Wal.) that I look in the refrigerator and find we are perilously close to wasting some food! Our obstacles are (1) that we enjoy different foods (2) the commissary has the 93% lean ground beef only in 1.5 lb pkgs (what kind of recipe calls for increments of .5?) and the giantest of chicken breasts, too much in a pkg, and (3) cooking for 2 almost always leaves leftovers that must be figured into the overall plan. This will become easier as we settle into our routines. I'm looking at it as a challenge!

5. I'm REALLY enjoying the water dispenser in the refrigerator! :)

That's the sitch in the kitch!

3 comments:

christy said...

You wrote all that just so you could say, "That's the sitch on the kitch," didn't you?

hints - make a menu and buy only what's on the menu. Work left-overs into your menu. Repurpose the left overs. tacos one night, freeze the left over meat and have taco salad in two or three weeks.

Unloading the dishwasher sucks no matter how many people's dishes you are washing. I loathe unloading the dishwasher. I'd rather wash by hand than unload the dishwasher. Of course I don't...just sympathizing.

Heather and Stephen said...

hahaha! No, I just thought of sitch in the kitch at the end, but I was pretty proud of it and repeated it to SB several times. :)
I'm working on the menu thing...I even think it's kind of fun. I know...I'm weird.

Amy J. said...

You guys totally need a FoodSaver vaccuum sealer! That's what we use, and when meat comes home from the grocery, it gets separated into us-sized portions, vaccuumed sealed, and frozen. Then at dinner time, we can just take out a package 4 pork chops, instead of 12 (or whatever.

This will also work with Zip-Lock freezer bags, but seeing as how I'm married to the Kitchen-Gadget King, we use the vaccuum sealer.

And I am SO with you on scrubbing the egg pan. Gross. And when the water hits the eggs, it makes the nastiest smell, too. Blecchhhhh (as Logan would say!)