Saturday, September 19, 2009

That Small Town Feel

Today, I went to do some errands. I wasn't crazy about doing it, but it needed to be done. One of the errands was to go to the dreaded Wal. I know. Saturday on a payday weekend, what was I thinking?! But this is the day I can have the truck, go by myself, not worry about needing to get back with it if SB needs it for work or whatever.

So, armed with my trusty list, I head out for the cleaners, post office, farmers market and Wal. The line for the cleaners was out the door. That means two people ahead of me. It's just a little shop recommended by someone from SB's unit. While waiting, I had time to read the pinned up business cards, flyers, and notices. I listened to the counterperson. She knew both patrons before me, called them by name, inquired about the first one's school schedule (because she could pick them up on her way home), and ran after the second with the change she forgot. When it was my turn and the 'how are you's were exchanged, she said, "oh, I'm fine, just a little tired, always so much to do!" I said, "me too, and I still have to hit the dreaded Wal!" She went on to tell me about the new HyVee that just opened, and when she asked when we needed the cleaning ready told me that she is always happy to support military spouses because they are the real force behind those men defending our country. You know...because we are the ones keeping them in clean clothes! :)

On to the post office. Another line out the door. But in line I met a lady (I didn't start it, the man in front of her was obviously trying to avoid her conversation), who kept me so distracted that the 30 minute wait flew by! She told me about the Blue Jay football team (Junction City High School. They made it to state last year!) and even told me about some job openings on post. She was mailing a digital photo frame to her daughter who is in college. She has 2 in college, one in HS, and her husband is in Iraq. There was more... I can't recall it just now. On my way out the door, the post office worker man called me back, "Heather? You forgot your pen!" So nice. Then, walking to the car I passed a lady on the street. "HI! It's a beautiful day, isn't it?!" I responded with, "it sure is! Have a great weekend!" "I will if it says like this!" she said.

Smiling all the way (two blocks) to the farmers market where I needed to see a lady about a canteloupe, I continued with my errands. I walked straight up to the table, grabbed the one I wanted and showed it to her saying, "I just need one canteloupe this week." She said, "oh, that's my mother-in-law's, MOM--how much are you going to charge this lady for that puny little canteloupe?" It was 50 cents. But I KNOW it will be so much better than the one they were selling at the Wal for $1.50! Her m-i-l retorted, "well, where are YOUR canteloupes??" initiating a short back and forth about keeping the chickens away from the produce and how this week she was not so successful. "See you next week," I said, ending our exchange.

Well, the morning has gone swimmingly, I think. Maybe I should just go home. Wal cannot make it better and will most likely make it much worse. Much to my surprise, it was not a completely unpleasant experience. My biggest issue was the overabundance of choices. That's the "culture shock" everyone keeps warning me about. I had a coupon for Pringles. There were about 42 different Pringle options! It was a lot to take in, but that stress was balanced by a quick phone call from my bff KC, and all the nice folks I encountered. The man working in kitchen stuffs asked what I was looking for when he could see me scanning the aisles and then assisted me in locating the crockpots; I was able to help a lady find the minnestrone soup she was hunting in a can that will feed her husband (not "these tiny cans of Campbells that cost twice as much as these larger ones of Progresso and Chunky" or something) and we coaxed it down from the back of the top shelf with a bottle of shampoo; the ladies behind me in the checkout line were impressed and told me so when I was checking over my list while waiting my turn. Then we all got a good laugh at the fact that this was probably not the best time to be looking to see what I may have forgotten. Once in line, there is no going back!

Man, that's a lotta errands, and I've done a good job. I should reward myself with a coke from the drive thru (I think). Well, there's the Taco Bell. So I pull in. "Good Afternoon, how are you?" hmm, that's nice! "I'm fine, thanks, may I have a large coke, please?" -- "Pepsi okay?" UGH! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! *heavy sigh* then, politely, "no, you know what? Let me just get one of those fruity freezes, pina colada, please." So, no coke. But the pina colada freeze was pretty good, and I've decided that's a serving of fruit. :)

Home, unload, make chili dogs, eat, write blog post. It's 3:15pm. I'm full, my errands are done and I'm feeling like Junction City might just be a little bit like another small town I know.

2 comments:

Kris said...

Made me small and a little jealous:) I have always dreamed of living in a small town on the east coast where everyone knows everyone and everything is in walking distance. Unfortunatley I have no kids and am single and meet a hot single doctor:) Thought you would like that!!

Facebook Freak said...

We lived in a small town for 8 years and while we loved that people were friendly and knew us, they also knew all our BUSINESS. Sometimes that's not so great, but you take the good with the bad no matter where you live.

And, um...I take issue with you dissin' the Pepsi. Pepsi rocks.