Saturday, September 26, 2009

Southern Cookin'

I don't know what's come over me. But I LIKE IT! Today I went to the farmer's market and to a little grocery store in town. I bought the usual at the farmers mkt: okra, corn, cantaloupe, eggs, and a few new things: onions, green beans, mustard and turnip greens. Surprisingly, I spent more than I planned at the grocery store, but I was pleased with the prices. So pleased, in fact, that I bought a lot of items that were not on the list!

When I got home, I made a HUGE pot of greens. Turned out to be about 3 or 4 cups. I'll be eating those tomorrow with some cornbread...mmm, mmm GOOD!

Then, I made a delicious dinner for myself, my husband and our houseguest*. Chicken fried steak with cream gravy, homemade (as in not from the box) mashed potatoes, and fresh corn on the cob. It was DELICIOUS if I do say so myself! and I do! :)

Finally, I cleaned and de-stemmed the strawberries and set the beans to soak overnight. Tomorrow is beans, greens, cornbread and FOOTBALL!

*houseguest
We have a soldier staying with us for the weekend. He has not been able to find a place to live yet, so when he reported to the unit at 3:45pm Friday, and his plan for the weekend was to sleep in his truck, SB of course invited him to our house. He called me about 30 minutes before they got here, and I was so glad that the guestroom was guest ready (except for curtains, so I stole the extension rod from the kitchen window, and threw over a sheet.) It's no bed and breakfast, but it's better than the Chevrolet room! There was a time we were in a town with no place to stay, and a couple let us stay with them. It was just after we got married, and we had to outprocess from a unit SB belonged to, but wasn't working in. George and Lindsey opened their home to us, and SB told me that's just how the military worked, sometime we might be in the position to do the same for someone else. And now we are. That's what it means when they say the "military family." He's from Wisconsion, so I'm happy to show him some Southern hospitality and goooood cookin!

0 comments: