Saturday, September 12, 2009

OKRA!

So, we went to the Farmer's Market a couple of weeks ago, and got this awesome okra. $1.50 per pound. And a pound is a LOTTA okra for one person. You know, because some people in our house don't eat it. I meant to snap a pick straight out of the bag, but forgot. Here it is after washing and trimming.



Then I boiled some up so I could snack on it while frying the rest. It was DELICIOUS!
And I snapped a photo with slime included for all those who gag at the sight. You're welcome. :)

Then I got down to serious business. I let it soak in a milk/egg bath for a few minutes, flopped it around in some seasoned cornmeal, and then dropped it in some super-hot oil.


Yield: Fried Okra. One of my top ten favorite things to eat!

3 comments:

CG said...

That looks awesome! If you have an extras try grilling them. Grilled okra will shock you with it's goodness. Just curious- Why did you cut off the little tips?

Heather and Stephen said...

A man at the Farmer's Market suggested grilling. We still need to get a grill, but I plan to try this! and I just sometimes cut off the little ends if they don't look too hot.

Jessica said...

I didn't realize it was that easy to make fried okra! YUM! That is one of my favorites too!!