Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day Four - Your Favorite Book

Favorite Book. Hmmm, that's a tough one. I really liked To Kill a Mockingbird in high school. In the 90s I pretty much just read magazines, and I read a LOT of them. A few years ago I started on the In Death series by JD Robb (Nora Roberts alter ego). In recent months I've enjoyed the Help, Bossypants, and Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. OH, and let's not forget Sh*t My Dad Says! Seen the TV show? It is NOTHING compared to the book. Laugh outloud hilarious.

I'm a big fan of nonfiction and would normally choose a nonfiction over a fiction book. I like a good story. I like biographies and autobiographies like Bossypants, Garth Brooks's story, Rob Lowe's Stories I Only Tell My Friends (haven't read it yet, but it's on the Kindle); True Crime, like Fatal Vision (oh how I loved that book) and business stories like Starbucked, the Walmart Effect, Ben and Jerry's story, and foodcentric thrillers like Supersize Me, The Omnivore's Dilemma and Fast Food Nation.
I'm not really one for reading books over and over. But one book that is thicker than I'd usually read is one I've read more than once. It is the Poisonwood Bible, and I'll probably read it again.
Says Wikipedia:
The Poisonwood Bible (1998) by Barbara Kingsolver is a bestselling novel about a missionary family, the Prices, who in 1959 move from Georgia to the village of Kilanga in the Belgian Congo, close to the Kwilu River. (The nearest town, an impossibly long journey away, is Bulungu.) The Prices' story, which parallels their host country's tumultuous emergence into the post-colonial era, is narrated by the five women of the family: Orleanna, long-suffering wife of Baptist missionary Nathan Price, and their four daughters—Rachel, Leah, Adah, and Ruth May.

It is fantastic and I really really loved it. I know there are other books I have really enjoyed, but I would have to say that at first thought, this would be my favorite book.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my biggest disappointments with public school this year was that Noah was "reading" To Kill A Mockingbird" The assignment was not to read the damn book. They read excerpts in class, that is all. If had not lost all credibility with my family as teacher/authority, I could have forced him to read it this summer. He liked what he read. And the parts they didn't read, they watched. So they didn't even watch the whole freaking movie. I like his teacher too. They just don't have time, because they are constantly prepping for standardized tests. OK, I'm done bitching on your blog about ps.

I did like the Poisonwood Bible.

Heather and Stephen said...

Oh, that is a real tragedy. Seriously. I hope he will read TKaM. So so good. It's not like he was assigned to read those friggin Merlin Crystal Cave books I refused to read in 9th grade!