Thursday, January 29, 2009

Army Wives...Really?

Wow. I was going to post about this train wreck of a show that has grabbed my attention and that of many of my friends who ARE Army spouses. I knew I had written another post about it, so I went looking through the archives. It was well over a year ago! I had no idea it had been that long! Of course there was a few months where it wasn't on, so we haven't been watching it this whole time. We've seen 2 seasons.

Anyway...what I noticed last night (season finale):
1. People cry when people leave. I cry at the airport when we have visitors and I REALLY bawl when we go home and have to come back. And people are sad and they cry when friends they have made move. I have had several good friends move, and it's hard. Rebecca/Jack, CSM Seay, Bernadette and the White family, the Ramos family, Tammy, Marion, Catherine, Adrienne, Chris...to name a few. And more will go before we do. But it isn't as though we break down and run off weeping, "I can't DO THIS!" It's just not so dramatic/melodramatic!

2. VERY RARELY would someone find out TWO DAYS before a move. TWO DAYS? Really? I know he's the "post commander" and all, but just getting a transportation (movers/shipping) appointment in 2 days would be nothing short of a miracle! and you would not be getting in the car to go to the airport with boxes and dollies still in the house. That's gotta be all cleaned up and pass the housing inspection!

3. Soliders (idiot Soldiers) really do sometimes go AWOL to be with some girl/woman. I know of one, he is currently in prison. That's what happens.

4. I think what Pamela said on her radio show was dead on. She caught a lot of flack for saying that when you marry a Soldier your life, your career, your hopes and dreams and goals play second fiddle. It's just a fact. When Stephen and I got married, I knew I would be leaving my family, friends, job, and life that I had made for myself. I'd do it again and again. Because I would live in a box in Guam as long as I was with him. I know a Soldier, an older and more mature one, who was a chaplain in the reserves (I think) and was called up to active duty. His wife had just gotten her dream job, and he was being sent to Germany. She stayed behind, he took a 2 yr unaccompanied tour. It's how they worked it out, and there is nothing wrong with that. But thinking that you can stay by your Soldier's side and have your long term dream job (that isn't freelance/work at home type) is not reality. Cool if it happens, but don't plan on it.

5. The new "post commander" appointed his "good ol boy" buddy to be the deputy post command even though Joan (the other LTC) has been there longer and would have been in line for it. Maybe not the man always given the good position over the woman, but definitely good slots given to people who know people. I've seen this happen.

I know many who are reading this have never seen an episode. Sorry for boring you with all the gory details. :)

2 comments:

Amy J. said...

I've never seen an episode, but I enjoyed reading this, because I've always wondered about how real the show is (I think I've asked you about it before). Just 'cause I'm curious...

Kris said...

Thanks for the breakdown of reality vs non-reality. I have always wondered as well. I could probably guess most but the prison boy not so much!