Saturday, January 17, 2009

I'm no Medium Rare...but...

I made these beans...and they are AWESOME!!


1. Have craving for weeks for some good ol beans-n-cornbread!
2. Go to commissary, look for salt pork, get a ham hock instead. Get rest of stuff...bag of beans and box of cornbread.
3. Finally get around to actually making them. Soak 2 bags, one of kidney and one of pinto beans after asking husband "should I do just one? or two?" He says two.

4. After soaking, they look so pretty. Swollen with the water and ready to go.



I decided I wanted them for lunch Saturday, so didn't want to start the cooking until EARLY in the morning. So,

5. Get up at the crack of dawn and begin...




6. Gather from cabinets and refrigerator, black and red pepper, some chicken broth (I know, it's not from a chicken I brothed myself!) and some refrigerator garlic. and chop some onion.


7. Put it all in the crockpot.




8. Remember you forgot to take a picture of the ham hock, take one and then bury it back under the beans.


9. Pour a little more water w/ the spices over the top w/ the onion, cover and go back to bed!



10. Wake up to a taste of home. :)


11. Beans ain't beans without cornbread, though. So whip some up...

12. Bake it in your Polish pottery, smile with satisfaction, and eat a bowl!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. OMG! you are going to be eating beans forever.
2. i always put a tablespoon (T) or two of sugar in my Jiffy mix. mmm
3. CUTE muffin pan!

and 4. because I'm already here...isn't that amazing about that plane crash? I was listening to Neil Boorts, who is a pilot, talk about what an awesome pilot this guy is.

Heather and Stephen said...

1. LOL, yeah, and there is a second crockpot 1/2 full of them. The two bags, not the best idea. but they'll freeze.
2. sounds good!
3. thanks, I love it!
4. I know, riiiiight?! ;) someone said it must have helped that he was a "glider".

Amy J. said...

Look at you - Mannheim's own Pioneer Woman! ;-)

My first thought upon seeing the 4:14 picture was "Girl - you cray-seee! Ain't NO WAY I'd be waking up that early to make some stinky old beans!! But then I read your "Taste of home" comment, and I get it.

And ditto on the plane crash. Simply amazing, thank the Lord!